Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Prague Myth #2: It's a dangerous city

Now, granted, some of this may just be me coming from Baltimore, the "Greatest City in America", where everyone knows someone who's been mugged, sometimes in the middle of the day. (There are several examples just in my lab!)

There ARE some concerns here with pickpockets on public transportation at night (they often work in groups and someone will start to distract you while someone else goes to work, I hear), and the streets do clear out pretty early (work days start early here traditionally, and by midnight most bars close and public transportation is spotty). But still, I'm walking through the streets here every evening on my way home from the office feeling pretty comfortable being alone (it's unavoidable), and that's saying something. Perhaps I'm being naive, but beyond the usual measure of caution walking around any big city, I'd say that Prague is pretty safe. Definitely better than I hear it was a few years back anyway.

2 comments:

Alex Thompson said...

I just left my course after being held at gunpoint in prague on the way back from seeing the russia/CZ match near old town. Prague, like any city, is a dangerous place.

Anonymous said...

Granted but please take into account that this is after a big football match between two countries that despise each other!!!!

they may have been on the look out for Russians, if you look different you will stand out and if you happen to be american your gonna be a victim anyway!