Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Czech Olympians

It's Olympics time, and I feel kind of bad for the Czechs.

I only have four channels (two govmt, two Czech-dubbed soap-opera-and-drama channels) on my TV and since they're all in Czech I don't watch them often. One of the two govm't channels has been broadcasting a summary of the day's Olympics events in the evenings when I'm home though, so I've been watching a bit. (Definitely an advantage of watching sports... no translation necessary).

I have no idea what the broadcasters are saying, but for each event they show first the impressive feats of some of the winners, which is always followed by a glimpse of the Czech competitor, who seemingly inevitably takes a nasty fall into the snow or ice. Then they show the medalists -- #1,#2,#3 -- followed by the Czech competitor (#37). This is often followed by an interview with the fallen Olympian, whose fake smile and disappointment is obvious in any language.

Poor Czechs... better luck soon. (they do have one medal so far though -- I think it's in a x-country skiing event. Makes sense).

No comments: