Thursday, January 26, 2006

Skiing all week!

Since last Sunday (and perhaps until next Sunday), I have been with the rest of UFAL (linguistics institute people at Charles Univ) in Kvilda, a tiny town in the southern part of the Czech Republic near Germany, known for the highest Czech elevations and also (unofficially) for the coldest weather in CR (record so far: -25C == -13F). And why, you may ask? For "work purposes"? Barely. Until today, we've spent all week cross-country skiing!

I didn't like it much at first, but it's growing on me. It's pretty much like hiking through mounds of snow... most of the scenery here is beautiful (once I can upload pictures, I'll show you!) The first afternoon I went 8km, the next afternoon only 6km (I skipped the morning, then a late start in the afternoon). But Tuesday I went 8 + 11 km, and yesterday I took an all-day 24km (15mi) trip! And wow, I'm sore. :-)

No comments: