Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I give you good price: bargaining in Morocco

I bought many, many items today. Way more than I originally budgeted for, though it will work out overall. I think I got decent prices in the end (or at least, far, far below their initial offer), but still probably ended up buying some things I wasn't excited about in the end because it was the closest to what I wanted and I was trapped.

This included some interesting cactus fiber carpets, which it turns out you can hold flames to without them burning or scortching... sure to be helpful. Still, for the carpets, after a 30 minute presentation showing me dozens of carpets without being willing to discuss price, his opening offer was a ridiculous 6500 dirham (nearly $1000USD)!!! After I thanked him and tried to leave him twice, he finally settled at my maximum price of 600 dirham (~$90) for two. Hand woven with embroidery and seemed decent quality, so hopefully okay price. I'm comforted by the fact that he didn't seem thrilled with the final deal, not to mention it was less than 10% of the original offer.

I also got some beautiful embroidered small table runners and leather slippers, though one pair of the latter smell a little too fresh from the tannery -- definitely not what you want. I am set for Christmas presents I think. Every single item was handmade in Morocco start to finish and is unique, so I'm happy. :-)

No comments: