Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day 3: the conference begins

So, now for the reason I'm here: the conference.

Of course, no exciting pictures from the day... a lot of oral and poster sessions, some interesting talks, some not-so-interesting talks. And, the best part of conferences: running into old friends from other institutions, and making new ones as well.

Trying to arrange my post-Marrakesh travel, though it's hard to find time to sit down with my travel buddy Ves. I want to ask around a little to find others to travel with as well or instead; we'll see. They have a few organized excursions here, including to Essaouria (discussed in a great NYT article), which is supposed to be beautiful though not so traditional, and out of the way from Fes/Casablanca so I'd removed it from my mental itinerary. We'll see.

Tonight, LREC advertised that there would be a "cocktail reception", which sounded suspiciously like hors doeuvres to me. Rest assured though, the Moroccans were prepared to show all 1100 conference attendees a good time. It was literally an extravaganza! A huge outdoor event, with singing, dancing, fire eating, camels, food, drink, cannons, acrobatics (seriously)... the whole shebang. Beyond all expectations!

No comments: