Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Getting lost in Marrakesh

I wandered Marrakesh alone all day, an experience in itself though I'm glad I did it.

I got lost plenty, made worse by the fact that most roads (even major ones) are often not marked with names, are not straight despite appearances on the map, and for the most part, those names are not on my map anyway! And made again worse by the fact that, with the streets always bending and changing, it's impossible not to get lost without holding a map, which only makes you be pounced on by 100 "unofficial guides" willing to nicely lead you (almost) to where you wanted to go, then charge a fee. Seriously -- everytime I pulled a map out. I would try to peek through my bag or find a quiet corner, but they always found me and were very difficult to shake. Anyway, didn't pull out maps often, no signs, and many times wandering in circles, which also makes it harder to shake the shopkeepers, madly clicking their tongues and screaming "hello, miss! Here, here!" in every language they can think of.

No comments: