Thursday, May 29, 2008

My husband wouldn't like it.

To be clear, I do not have a husband, though my boyfriend of six years is pretty close. However, this has become my refrain while wandering alone in Morocco, which really annoys me to no end.

But, I've received several date offers, typically just when walking down the one main street connecting my hotel to the conference center, and somehow just saying "no, but thank you" or "sorry, I'm on my way to meet people" hasn't been enough. These guys are really persistent. Maybe it's those scandalously bare arms of mine? That was my one resistance in dressing for Morocco... I'll wear skirts and cover my shoulders, but damned if I wear long sleeves in Africa. :-)

I'm now telling all men whom I speak to for more than about a minute that the ring on my finger is my wedding ring... which only partially discourages them. Also, some cheek kisses after sales (seems maybe normal for Arab men, but hard to imagine them doing that to women...), and friendly hands on my arms and back as I'm being "guided" or sold to. Nothing obscene like was mentioned online, but I'm still a little uncomfortable... not sure what to think. Reasonable, or copping feels? I'm thinking they're just showing off for the Western women. What's the best response in Arabic, besides "la" ("no"), I wonder?

No comments: