Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Backpedal 3/9: The Computer Science Ball


As though I hadn’t gone to enough balls in the two months I’ve been in Prague, I went to a third one this past Thursday. This ball was not Moravian like the other two (one in Pavel’s village, another called the Moravian Ball here in Prague), so the music and dancing was a bit different. More notably, this was the ball for the Charles University Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Math, Physics, and Computer Science (“faculties” here are like departments or colleges in the U.S.). The poster, with the girl wrapped around her guy as he stares longingly into his laptop screen, says it all. :-) It used to annoy me a lot when I passed it in my office building. Then it occurred to me though that if the Johns Hopkins (let alone Carnegie Mellon!) computer science and math and linguistics students had their own ball, it would be a chore to get the guys out of the computer lab and into fancy clothes to begin with!


Guys here are pretty good dancers, forced to learn in high school. Too bad we don’t have that more in the States -- I’d love to have a good dancing partner and opportunities to show it off!

The best part about the ball: the ballroom was absolutely gorgeous.

No comments: