Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Backpedal: 2/11 Ball in Pavel's village

Didn't write earlier, so writing now. Topic: my weekend in Moravia, otherwise described in this post.

This was the first of the balls I attended in the Czech Republic, as well as the smallest and the cutest. I was the least sure of what to expect here. I figured it would be mostly young people, but the village is pretty small (~125 houses) and social events are few and far between, so there were people of all ages (above the minimum of 15), including Pavel’s kindergarten teacher whom I had the opportunity to meet! ;-) At first I mainly sat and watched others dancing, then Pavel danced with me a few times, and slowly others worked up the courage (I think they were mainly intimidated by the language barrier which I can understand. Many were starting to enjoy the opportunity to practice their English with me, which ranged from “Hello How Are You” to quite good. I had a lot of fun talking, and especially dancing. I need to talk my boyfriend into doing this with me more.


One of the highlights of the village ball: a raffle. Some won shampoo, others won kitchen appliances. Eliska, however, won a prized dead pheasant. The idea I guess is that you take it home, defeather it, and enjoy some nice fresh pheasant. Mmmm. I thought it was pretty funny, but some men near us, possibly the hunters who donated it in the first place, scolded us for not giving the prize its due and proper respect. Whoops. :-)


Sadly, none of us won one of the grand prizes: a pig’s head, just like the one I’d watched Pavel’s family slice off their pig earlier that day. Some lucky family must have been pretty excited. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dearest Fitz - I love your crazy Prague Blog. I especially love how pigs especially pigs cut up into pieces make it into your crazy blog periodically!