Thursday, November 30, 2006

Something in the water...

Is there anymore much more distasteful than, thirsting for water, you take a big swig and find it salty and carbonated? For whatever reason, the Europeans appear to love this stuff. Not only is tap water almost never served (though in countries like German it is quite safe), but the bottled water is by a large majority (and definitely by default) carbonated. Perhaps one can develop a taste for it... but I don't find it at all refreshing, and what's more, find myself burping far more that usual. :-) How ladylike, eh?

You've got to love a country where finding a glass of uncarbonated water is on level with acquiring a PhD, and yet you can buy a "glass" of Jägermeister in the university cafeteria!!

To review, Jägermeister is
  • (German translation) anise- and herb-flavored digestive
  • (English translation) a huge post-frat party hangover mechanism
Party on. :-) But don't drink the water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can definitely relate to this. I hate sparkling water!

On some of my travels, in countries where I can't read the official language, I have to guess which water bottles look like "still water" from the design of the label. I try to pick out bottles with pictures of a tranquil pond or a mountain stream, that sort of thing.

Then I carry the bottle outside, grit my teeth, twist the cap, and listen for the dreaded hiss of carbonation. Unfortunately I'm wrong about half the time. I wonder how many locals all over the world have heard me scream "Damn it!" in English in convenience store parking lots?

Brian