Saturday, April 08, 2006

Floods in Prague, cont'd

arnab said...

how were the floods in prague? i saw pictures of budapest under several feet of water... i hope vltava wasn't as bad as danube!

--
Actually, I'm a little confused, though maybe I'm misunderstanding... the floods I mentioned were of tourists, not of water! Pictures of Budapest under several feet of tourists would be kind of cool to see though. :-)

Speaking of floods though, there was a pretty bad one in Prague back in 2002... if you know what Prague looks like normally, the pictures posted below are pretty crazy. (And even without that, it's obvious that the water mark on most of the buildings is at least six feet up... yikes).


The Charles Bridge held strong though, no levee-type incidents here! They just don't build them like they built them in 1357 anymore. :-P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

apparently, last week melting snow in central europe caused danube to flood! and i saw a mention of some areas in prague erecting barriers in anticipation, though there was no mention of flood in prague...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4884050.stm

and then i saw your post! now tell me, isn't that a logical conclusion?

Anonymous said...

of course, these days contractors are not hanged if their buildings collapse ;-) i guess when building for the holy roman emperor the builders didn't enjoy any such assurances... that must be some motivation for doing a good job!

Erin Fitzgerald said...

That's crazy! I haven't heard a thing about this from anyone, though maybe if I could follow along with the Czech news it would help. I haven't seen any fences going up anywhere either though... strange. I live about 100 feet from the Vltava, so if something were to happen, I'd be swimming to work!

Really though, the wall leading up from the bank is pretty high, so things would have to get pretty bad to get to that point. Still, it's amazing that I haven't heard anything, being here. The weather has gotten a little colder at night lately, but other than that has been beautiful -- no rain for a while now.

I'll look into it, and then perhaps into buying a nice set of rain boots. :-P Thanks for the heads up.