Sunday, December 03, 2006

Back to Prague

Last night I left Saarbrucken for Frankfurt, where I met up with my friend Ashish from undergrad (lots of fun, despite transportation fiascos), and this morning I flew from Frankfurt to Prague.

I try to keep these blog entries from ever getting too long or wordy, and with that said it's difficult finding the best words to describe the sense of peace I feel to be back in Prague. It's more than an appreciation for the beauty of the city (which during the Advent season it certainly is, even if the streets are overwhelmed with tourists more than the 40 degree weather would typically suggest). More also than the thrill of seeing old friends.

I admit, a part of me was excited about leaving Prague to return to the U.S. last May, though I knew I'd miss the views and some of the people. Returning today though, I find a sense of belonging and completion; I feel like I've returned to a home. I love Prague for both the castle and the ugly graffiti, the rich culture and the frustrating tourists who clog the streets but never bother to learn where the real values of thee city lie. It's like loving a sibling for both friendship and flaws. There is a certain satisfaction in my heart as I navigate across town through the clogs of tourists, knowing that to them the city is only a beautiful stranger, but I've experienced a touch of its intimacy.

The feeling surprised me a little. Living in Prague for my brief four months, I reached the conclusion that I would never be really happy living abroad long term; always feeling like the outsider trying to adjust and fit in. This makes me reconsider a bit whether I could adjust and live long term as an expatriot. I'm not convinced that I could... but I've never believed that home is simply the place where you've grown up when it comes to the U.S., and I'm at a place in my life where I'm debating opening the circle a bit further.

Hello, Prague. I've returned, and I've missed you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to tell you about my impression after I visited Prague. I was there in Christmas time. It was beautiful holidays! Prague is a wonderful and full for historical monuments. My favorite places were The Old Square and Charles Bridge, of course. I hope, that this Winter I'll come back to Prague.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am somewhere from Moravia, I study in Prague and I LOVE Prague! And I much understand you when you write about your feelings from here. Jirka

Prague Tour Agency said...

Hello, with you next visit try new agency to discover other places than Prague :)

Unknown said...

nice post and pics.thanks for sharing


Europa Coaches Prague is specialized in hiring different kinds of transportation vehicle all around Europe. Our fleet of buses, minibuses, limos, etc. is available in many different colours and styles, and all are high quality, climatized and comfortable vehicles. We have also been hiring party and limo buses since 2010 and now we have access to the largest fleet of party buses and limos in Europe. Having the head office in Slovenia (EU), permits us having affordable prices, but yet an excellent service quality.